Editor’s Note: This is a guest post from Austin Green
Summer has officially arrived. This means that anyone who lives near a lake or ocean can visit the place they love the most, the beach.
What’s not to like? There’s cold beer, volleyball, good food, and tons of beautiful women walking around in bikinis. It sounds like nothing can stop you from having an awesome time. Wrong! If you show up looking like a bitch you’re not going to have any fun, I guarantee it.
Luckily it’s not too late. You can still get a ripped beach body that’ll make all the ladies drool.
My Tips To Pack on Muscle
I recommend focusing on three specific areas to build muscle: biceps, chest, and abs. A masculine chest, six pack abs, and two big guns are what you need in order to be beach ready.
I advise you to lift three days a week: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. If you’re looking to bulk up, then a lifting routine is all you’ll need. If you’d rather trim some body fat then make sure to fit in 30 minutes of cardio after your lifting.
Preferably some sort of high intensity interval training.
My General Rules for Working Out at the Gym:
- Always bring your headphones. This isn’t necessary for everyone, but listening to my favourite music really pumps me up. If you don’t usually listen to music in the gym and you’re looking for some motivation to workout harder, then I’d definitely give this a try.
- Make each lifting session more intense than the one before. I always increase the reps or add more weight for each exercise I do. Never let yourself get off easy.
- While you’re lifting if someone makes direct eye contact with you, stare them down and let them break eye contact first. Some of you might think I’m kidding (maybe I am a little), but showing you’re the alpha male of the gym will earn you some respect. (I am not responsible for any fights that occur because of this).
The Beach Workout
Now that you know how to act at the gym, let’s get into the weight lifting routine. In order to build size and strength, we are going to use a 5×5 set/rep scheme. Make sure you’re lifting heavy enough weights. The last few reps of the third set should be very difficult to complete.
- Barbell Curls – Grasp the bar with an under hand grip. Keep your hands shoulder width apart. When you lower the bar down, do it slowly (at least a 3 second count).
- Alternate Dumbbell Curls – Hold 2 dumbbells at your side, palms facing in. Raise 1 dumbbell while rotating your forearm until your palm faces your shoulder. Alternate between sides. One repetition consists of a left hand curl and right hand curl. Once again go slow on the way down.
- Incline Dumbbell Press – Perfect for building your upper chest.
- Bench Press – The classic bench press. Once again, try and lower the bar as slowly as you can on the way down.
- Plank – Try to do 3 sets of 2 minutes with only a minute of rest in between each set. If you can’t plank for 2 minutes then just do it until failure. These burn real bad.
- Hanging Leg Raises – Try your best to do 5 sets of 5. If not do it until failure.
Try your best to limit your rest between exercises. You should never be able to easily complete the final set. If that’s the case, add more weight.
The Beach Body Diet
For men trying to bulk up, start eating a lot. Try to get 3,000-4,000 calories a day to optimize muscle growth. Get your carbs from white rice and sweet potatoes. Get your protein from eggs and plenty of whey protein shakes.
If you’re trying to slim down, decrease your daily calorie intake. Aim for 1,600-1,800 calories a day. I know it sounds low, but don’t worry this is only for a limited time. After you get your jacked beach body look you can go back to eating normal.
Success will come to those who work the hardest. The guy chilling in the water surrounded by all the hot women didn’t get that way because of luck. He worked his ass off and you can too. Get to work today.
You’ll be a new man in no time.