We’ve all heard of the three day rule… the idea of waiting three days is to ensure that you don’t look needy and that she doesn’t think you’re desperate to see her.
But how long should you actually wait to initiate contact after getting a girls number? Should you follow this dating advice?
The answer is no and here’s why…
When I was younger, I followed the three day rule. I’d flirt with a girl, get her number, and then wait at least three days before calling her to set up a date. I thought that if I kept her waiting and built suspense she’d think I was a man that’s in demand. She’d see that I was busy with my social and work life and didn’t mind keeping her waiting. I never questioned this advice because every so-called dating guru said it was the right thing to do at the time.
In fact, all it did was make girls frustrated and think I wasn’t interested. Plus a lot of girls are aware of the three day rule so calling her on the third day will make her think that you’re one of those guys playing games. This makes you look immature and damages the good impression you made in the first place.
Believe it or not, if a girl had a great time and happily gave you her number, then she really wants to hear from you! She likes you so far and is keen to find out more. She wants you to call her and continue to build a connection that’ll hopefully lead to a date. So, if you really like her, you feel there was good chemistry and you want to see her again… call her on day one!
When I first met my girlfriend, we had an amazing night together. The very next day I called her to reconnect and keep the momentum going. I told her how much of great time I had and asked her out on a date. I set up the date for the next day when I wasn’t busy and it went very well. She told me how shocked but excited she was to receive a call from me the next day. I showed her that I was different from other men and that I make things happen.
So, if you want to stand out from the other guys, follow these basic tips:
- Forget about the three day rule. If she likes you, she’ll want to hear from you.
- Call her the next day. Ringing her is more personal compared to texting, but if you’re busy a text is better than nothing.
- If she answers your call, your aim is to recreate the connection again and continue to build attraction. Be cocky and funny and remind her how much of a good time she had with you. Then invite her out on a date.
- If she doesn’t pick up, leave a voicemail and say something like, “Hey, I just wanted to let you know that I had a great time last night. Hope all is good and I’ll catch up with you later.”
- If she doesn’t call or text back after a couple of days, take the hint and find another woman that’s worth your time. Whatever you do, don’t keep calling her after you’ve left a message. You’ll come across as needy and desperate.